One of the beneficial features of QuickBooks is that multiple users can work on the same file simultaneously. It saves a lot of time and money. This feature increases collaboration and productivity. To do this all users must have a license and they all must be on the network. In this article, we are going to learn the steps To Setup Multi-User Network For QuickBooks Desktop. If you need any assistance while performing the below steps then you can contact QuickBooks Support Phone Number 1866-656-1012 where our technical experts will resolve all your concern.
Step 1: Download And Install QuickBooks Desktop
- Check your computer meet the system requirement to download QuickBooks.
- Download your version of QuickBooks from the official website of Intuit.
- Keep the product and license number ready with you.
- Open the QuickBooks.exe on your system and follow the instructions on the screen to install QuickBooks on your system.
- Once installed, Open QuickBooks
- Click on the Help menu and select Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions to activate it.
Step 2: Set Up Folder Permissions To Share Company Files
Set up folder Permissions
- Right-click the folder containing the company file and click Properties.
- Choose Advanced on Security tab.
- Select QBDataServiceUserXX and select Edit.
- Allow the following settings
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write Extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
Change Folder permissions
- Press Windows+E on your keyboard to open the File Explorer.
- Right-click the parent folder and then click Properties.
- On the Security tab, choose Everyone.
- Select Full Control >Apply >OK.
Set Windows access permissions to share company files
Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Press Windows+E on your keyboard to open the File Explorer
- Browse and Right-click the folder containing the company file.
- Select Properties > Sharing > Share Add.
- Select the corresponding QBDataServiceUserXX for your version.
- Create the permission level of both users to Full Control and select Share
Step 3: Configure Firewall And Internet Security Settings For QuickBooks Desktop
When you run QuickBooks File Doctor then it automatically opens firewall ports. It can be used for automatic configuration of Firewall settings.
Step 4: Set Up The QuickBooks Database Server Manager And Scan Your File
Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- You need to close all the running programs including QuickBooks on your server computer.
- Search and install the downloaded file exe.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Click Custom or Network Options in install type and then click Next. Don’t click Express.
- You need to select the best choice for your network setup and then click Next.
- If you want Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, select I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing…
- If you only want Database Server Manager on your server computer, select I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop…
- Now follow the rest instruction from the screen. Once done then click Install.
- Allow if Windows asks for permission.
Scan your folders
- Press Windows key and type QuickBooks Database Server Manager in the search box and open it.
- Click the Scan Folders
- Choose Browse and select QBO files that contain your company file.
- Click OK when finished. Now Click Start Scan
Step 5: Add Windows Admin Rights To Allow Configuration Of Multi-User Access
Add or create a Windows user with Administrator rights
- Select Start menu >Settings > Choose Accounts > Family & other users
- From the Other Users section click Add someone else on this PC.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information at the bottom of the page and then click Add a user without Microsoft account.
- Enter the login credentials
- Click Finish.
- Provide administrator privileges to the new user.
- Select the newly created account > Account Type.
- Select Administrator from the drop-down.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Windows Server 2012
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+R to open the Run command.
- Type Server Manager and then select OK.
- Select Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and groups > Groups.
- Double-click Administrators Group > Add
- Enter the account name for adding to the local admin group
- Click OK.
Provide Administrator rights to QuickBooks Desktop Database System User
First of all close QuickBooks Desktop and open User Accounts from the Control Panel. For Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and Server 2012 follow the below steps:
- On the keyboard press, the Windows key and then type User Accounts.
- Press Enter.
- Select Manage another account.
- Double-click the QBDataServiceUserXX for your QuickBooks Desktop version
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018 QBDataServiceUser28
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017 QBDataServiceUser27
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016 QBDataServiceUser26
- Choose Change the account type > Administrator > Change Account Type
Step 6: Map A Network Drive (optional)
- Press Windows Key and Type This PC in the search bar.
- Open Computer > Map a network drive.
- Select any unused drive letter then select Browse.
- Open the network location where you have kept the company file.
- Select OK then Finish.
- Reopen your QuickBooks company file from the new mapped drive.
Step 7: Open A Company File That Is Located On A Remote Computer
Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the remote computer
- From the QuickBooks File menu and click Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Select Yes in the Multi-user hosting setup required window.
- Select OK on the Multi-user setup information window.
- Add the required users from Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users > Add User.
Locate then open the company file
- From the File menu, click on Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file, then Next.
- Search and open company file (with file extension .qbw)
- If asked, enter your login credentials.
Step 8: Turn On Hosting
Turn on hosting only for the computer where the company file is stored or the host computer.
- From the File menu, select Utilities.
- Click Host Multi-User Access.
- Click Yes on the confirmation window.
Reach For Technical Help
By following the above steps, you can easily set up a multi-user network for QuickBooks Desktop. Our QuickBooks Tech Support Number 1866-656-1012 is always available to sort out any type of technical glitches that can occur while performing the above steps. Our QuickBooks Customer Service team has very efficient and experienced technicians who are fixing all types of QuickBooks issues on a daily basis. Our Helpline is open 24×7 round the clock to give your best support for errors related to QuickBooks issues.