Users generally have to face this error when they are trying to open the company file. They get this error message on their screen, “An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file. (-6189,-816)”
This means that your company file is not accessible. This could happen for a lot of reasons:
- You are using a file sharing service.
- If a Company file was recently updated without its transaction file.
- If another User is accessing the same Company Files on a Single user mode
If you use your QuickBooks in a multi-user environment, make sure of the following things:
- Using a File sharing service
Intuit doesn’t recommend using a file sharing service like Box.net, SugarSync, Dropbox, or any other service for your QuickBooks company file. These online file sharing services have some utilities which cause problem when used with QuickBooks company files. If you want to stay away from such problems move your company files to a local storage. You can also opt for QuickBooks Online if you want to use QuickBooks from multiple locations.
- Your data file is not stored on a network drive
Make sure that your company file is not saved on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device or other removable device. These devices are not appropriate to run QuickBooks Database manager and instances have come up when these devices have caused damage to company files.
Solutions For the Error -6189, 816
Solution 1) Restart your computer and your server
- Restart every computer that is used to access the company file
- Restart the server if you have any data on your server
- Reopen your QuickBooks Company file and if you still face the same error go to solution 2.
Solution 2) Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on your server
- Install the QuickBooks Database Manager if you haven’t installed it yet. See. Install, Update and Set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Restart your server.
If even after following both the solutions the problem still exists, you can dial the QuickBooks Tech Support Number at 1800-778-7614 to talk to one of our QuickBooks Experts.