It is common knowledge that QuickBooks is a remarkable accounting and bookkeeping software. Small and mid-size businesses can greatly benefit from it and automate redundant tasks like Payroll, Inventory Management and save time. But we cannot simply ignore the fact that QuickBooks is prone to certain update errors like the QuickBooks Error 15106.
We have received thousands of requests from QB users to post a comprehensive guide to resolve this QB Error 15106 and here it is. In this blog post, we will discuss causes and solutions for this error and much more.
Moreover, if you are seeking a way to contact the QuickBooks ProAdvisors then you can dial the toll-free QuickBooks Payroll Support Phone Number +1866-656-1012 to get immediate assistance.
What QuickBooks Error 15106 Means?
Before moving on to the causes and solutions, firstly, you need to understand what this error code implies. As we said earlier, QuickBooks Error Code 15106 is a Payroll update error. You won’t be able to download any payroll updates until and unless you fix this error.
This error code is accompanied by the following error message:
“Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened”
“Error 15106: The update program is damaged”
What Causes The QuickBooks Error 15106?
Just like most of the other QB errors, this error is a consequence of any application restricting the execution of programs within QB. Here are the most common causes for this error:
- A security application or software that is installed on your PC is restricting or limiting the download of Payroll update.
- You are not logged in as the System Administrator. Guest users have limited permissions when it comes to reading, writing or modifying files.
- If Spy Sweeper is present in the web root of Ant-virus, you will not be able to download Payroll updates. This happens because Spy Sweeper considers QB Payroll update process a malware activity and thus restricts it.
Steps To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 15106
Now that you understand all the different aspect that can trigger Error Code 15106 of QuickBooks, it is time to move on to steps for fixing the QuickBooks Error Code 15106.
Step 1: Log In As The System Administrator
Log out of the guest account and then log in as the System Administrator. Go to your desktop and right-click on the QuickBooks icon. Choose Run as Administrator in the drop-down menu.
Now, you will be accessing QuickBooks as a System Administrator and with all the admin privileges. Try to download QuickBooks Payroll Updates once again or contact the QuickBooks Support Team.
Step 2: Clean Install QuickBooks In Selective Startup Mode
If the step 1 did not work for you and you are still unable to download Payroll updates, you can opt for a clean install of QuickBooks in selective startup mode. Follow these steps:
Note: Create a backup of the company file before moving forward.
- Keep your QuickBooks product and license information handy.
- Go to the start menu and restart the system in selective startup mode.
- Only essential applications run in the selective startup mode and therefore you will be able to download Payroll updates.
- Now, Install QuickBooks again.
- Switch back to normal mode and try to download the updates once again.
Step 3: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
- Open the Run window by hitting Windows+R on your keyboard.
- Type Control Panel in the text field and hit Enter.
- Go to User Accounts and open it in classic view.
- Tap on the Change User Account Control Settings
- Click only on positive options if any confirmation box appears on your screen.
- Move the slider to Never Notify and turn UAC OFF.
- Restart your desktop.
You should be able to resolve the QuickBooks Error Code 15106 after reading this comprehensive guide. However, if none of the steps worked in fixing the error then reach out to QuickBooks Experts of Supportforerror.
Dial the toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1866-656-1012 to get in touch with us and get immediate assistance for all QuickBooks Error and issues.